Monday 28 May 2012

A little ray of Sunshine!


Well, here’s a shock ! On what seems to have been one of the hottest days of the year, I sat down in the early evening cool and opened up my laptop to discover that one of my fellow bloggers has kindly nominated me for a Sunshine Award. 


The Fly in the Web, whose wonderful “French Leave” blog I was lucky enough to discover through another fellow blogger, has listed my blog among her nominees for this award which is given  to “bloggers who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere” I’ve come over all unnecessary: not least because the last time I “won” anything it was a 10 shilling postal order. I think that gives you a clue as to the frequency of my successes.

As we had burglars over the weekend, and I also had to spend the day flat-hunting with son#2, neither of which were especially uplifting experiences, this was a doubly cheering piece of news!

I was initially rather lost as to what I should do, but Fly had spelled it out in her blog post, and although her kind nomination came with the caveat that there was no obligation to do anything at all, I shall, because I think it’s fun! However, being new to the blogging world, you will have to bear with me a bit…I may not quite reach the requisite number of nominations as I’m still building my list of regular reads! Thanks to the award itself, it looks as though I’ll have a number of new blogs to check out, which is great news. However, in the meantime I’m going to attempt to fulfil half the brief..

Here are some of my favourite reads:
 Hobos in France…written by the lovely Chrissie, this blog documents an incredible story of injustice, incompetence and, well…fraud. Not, you might think, the stuff of “sunshine”! Chrissie and her family have, however, shown me and many others that it is not only possible to rise above some of the cruellest injustices that life can throw at you, but to do it with serenity and a sense of humour. Their story is an emotional roller-coaster but shows what genuinely wonderful people they are.

Then, there’s Perpetua at Perpetually in Transit whose initial forays into the world of blogging have now become a real passion – for her and for her increasing band of regular followers. I’ve really enjoyed her blog since she first began, and she has been a great source of encouragement to me in my first tentative steps into the blogosphere.

One of my newer discoveries is Doris Brazil Speaks Out. A great, quirky read which shares my sense of humour.

A blog which isn’t really a blog in the conventional sense, but raises a smile with me every day, is Craftastrophe…a regular look at why some people should never, ever, venture into the world of selling their home-made creations, and which has made me realise that some of my own efforts, although I’d never offer them for sale, are better than my hyper-critical eye has given them credit for!

Another new blog, and one which speaks to my experience of living in France, Ma Parole!,  Zoe’s accounts of her life as an Estate Agent in La France Profonde.

Now to tackle the brief, part deux..

Favourite colour....My head says cornflower blue. My wardrobe says black.
Favourite animal...Lebowski the cat. Despite his wonky tooth and his habit of leaving mouse entrails in the hall.
Favourite number …Why would anyone have a favourite number?
Favourite drink....Probably tea. I’m such a lightweight.
Facebook or Twitter...Facebook. I shouldn’t, but I do.
Your passion..... Would that be today’s passion, yesterday’s passion or last week’s?
Giving or getting presents....I like both.
Favourite day.... The day my holidays begin
Favourite flowers....Ones that TH can’t kill through over-zealous gardening.









6 comments:

  1. Hello:
    Congratulations on your 'Sunshine Award'. It is such a good feeling when someone recognises what one does and shows this kind of appreciation. It must have been even more welcome good news for you with the awful experience of a burglary to contend with. We do feel for you over that.

    Your writing has such an individual voice and you capture events, people and places with such a sharp eye and clear wit. The award is most certainly very well deserved. We look forward to making new connections with the blogs you list here and wish you many, many happy returns with future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jane and Lance. You're right, it was a lovely and very pleasant surprise after a less than happy Saturday. And many, many thanks for your encouragement and kind words. I'm still very much wearing my blogger "L" plates, and this has given me a real boost!

      Delete
  2. Oh good...you did it!
    I think Craftastrophe will suit me down to the ground...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Fly, for giving me a leg up in the blogoshpere! I do giggle at Craftastrophe. It so reminds me why, when anyone says "that's nice - you should make more and sell them" I am better off smiling politely and paying more attention to the voice in my head which says "NO!" I harbour no ambition to become a featured contributor to that particular blog!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, CB, and very well-deserved! I've enjoyed every well-chosen word you've written since you started your blog and was really pleased to see it recognised in Fly's post. Now I am just as pleased and, in addition, flattered by your kind words about my blog. Sunshine outside and in the blogospere! Thank you so much. As you know, I'm already familiar with and much admire two of your nominations and shall have great fun exploring the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Perpetua, for all your encouragement both here and behind the scenes which has kept me going as a beginner to blogging. I know how much pleasure and satisfaction you have derived from your blog, and, like you, I'm getting the bug!

      Delete