Sunday 17 March 2013

Stop me if I’m boring you, won’t you ?




Phase 99 of the plan to vacate Nowhere on Thames is already upon us. So, far, phases 1-98 have been either abortive or frustrating or both.

We teeter on the brink of deciding between Arthur Daley, Sebastian Pink-Scarf and Agent 3, with whom we both seemed to hit it off. Nobody can really seem to give us an accurate valuation on our house, though, as the spread is about £50K, with Sebastian Pink-Scarf trailing pitifully in third place. 

Meanwhile, on the purchase side, things are (in the words of the famous song title) a ball of confusion.  Epsom, or at least parts of it, is delightful. However, many parts of it seem to be up steep hills (and God only knows why all these steep hills should be called “downs” when they are mostly “ups”) and miles from even the nearest newsagent. I am currently fortunate enough to be able to gambol up hills like a mountain goat, but I have reached the time of life where I doubt that my dodgy knees will miraculously heal, and somehow the thought of a mile or so’s slog to the nearest purveyor of milk and newspapers has lost its appeal. Who knew we were so spoiled, with a railway station and a village centre in such close proximity to N-o-T? The idea that “I’m just popping out for some milk” would be the precursor to a cross-country marathon of some 2 miles or more, and the thought of being snowed in up a steep hill have somewhat dampened our initial enthusiasm.  So, the hunt is on for somewhere flatter, and preferably, not as “on Thames” as we’re used to, as my nerves really can’t take too much more of the regular automated phone calls from the Environment Agency, telling us we’re on flood alert.

The other thing is that, after never having lived in a new house in either of our respective lives, TH and I have rather suddenly concluded that it might be nice to experience  somewhere with windows that fit, a central heating system that actually heats the whole house and – another current fad that we’d never add on, but of which builders seem to be enamoured  – solar panels to heat the water.

The downside to new houses, apart from the current trend towards vast open spaces where once there were rooms, is the garden. Or lack thereof. Even in the smallest of new developments, builders seem to have adopted the approach that, if they just move that house a bit to the left, shove that one further back on its plot and push the two a bit closer together, hey presto, they can squeeze another one in on the end. I think we may be able to put the lawn mower on ebay if we go this route. I could probably manicure the lawn with a pair of scissors. And anyway, who wants to be gardening when they could be sitting in the kitchen-dining-family room looking out of the window at several yards of unbroken fencing? 

The other downside, which really surprised me, is that many of today’s developers seem to have had their show homes decorated by someone with a crack habit. No, seriously.  I remember once seeing Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen or someone of his ilk decorating a room by putting the wallpaper on the walls horizontally. However, that was in the 1990’s, and I’m guessing that it could be one of several reasons we don’t see much of him on TV these days.  I also recall him decorating someone’s living room in deepest suburbia in rather dramatic black and fuchsia floral wallpaper. There you go: another reason we probably don’t see him much on telly. However, I think we’ve found someone to whom he might have bequeathed his mood boards.  And, for crying out loud, does the builder really generate more sales by having a pile of towels tied with a ribbon sitting on top of the toilet seat? 

Whilst the rest of the world is being exhorted by a plethora of “experts” to declutter their homes and paint the walls in inoffensive neutral colours, new house builders seem to feel that we need drama in the form of a show home staged for sale by Hilda Ogden, with a tasteful Muriel or two papered to the walls. 

I am hoping that, in the event we locate our dream home, we can manage to get in in time, before anyone tampers with the interior décor. Maybe it’s a sign of age, but magnolia will do. Really, it will. If I want to hang wallpaper, I’d like it to be my own decision, and I’d really like (call me old-fashioned) to stick it on the walls vertically. And yes, I am sitting here typing this wearing my beige cardigan. There’s probably no hope.

10 comments:

  1. It's all part of a general dumbing-down. It seems to be impossible for prospective buyers to walk into your home, mentally subtract your furniture and imagine their stuff in situ. Houses need to be carefully staged (and the towels must be white!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch, sometimes, in amazement, as people on TV house-move shows reject houses on the basis of decor, or for the sake of a misplaced piece of furniture. And now you've got me wondering about my cream towels..... :-)

      Delete
  2. We bought a new house once and vowed never again. :-) All the snagging and waiting for the soil in the garden to be cultivable just wasn't worth it. One careful owner would be my advice. As for decor taste, I think today's buyers are so brain-washed by style programmes and magazines that they have lost all power of imagination. They're not buying a house, they're buying a lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Perpetua. I'm not so keen on completely new..not least because the newer the house, the smaller the plot since building land has become so scarce in the SE. I don't want a huge garden, but being able to touch the garden fence whilst sitting in the kitchen is a bit much!
      And "lifestyle" has recently joined "feedback" as one of my least favourite words in the English language! (That's not a reflection on your use of it, as I'm sure you realise)

      Delete
  3. I think I'm coming towards the idea of living in a yurt. Once the neighbours start to annoy - you can upsticks and move on.
    I'm in full gardening mode now and the idea of zero garden sounds wonderful tonight to my aching muscles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to live in a yurt, but only for a short time, and alone!
      Lucky you being able to garden! We're hoping our garden becomes less of a quagmire and that we can tidy it up soon..if ever the rain stops for long enough!

      Delete
  4. I remember those uphill downs...and the feeling that lessons in cross country ski would have been more use than those in hockey in the winter of 61/2, with the added advantage of being able to fantasise about stabbing the games mistress through the heart with a ski pole instead of bludgeoning her to death with a hockey stick.

    Cheam was still nice when last I looked, though I suppose developers have been grabbing the back gardens even there....

    I would hate having a house 'presented' to me...I like to see the bones.
    Perpetua is right, people are brainwashed - they can't do anything so mundane as buying a house to live in, they have to be participating in a lifestyle statement.
    There are words to describe such a statement but would probably fall foul of government proposals on blogging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You must have had a relative of my games mistress at your school. I often fantasised about decapitating mine with a lacrosse stick!
      Oh, the lifestyle statement is writ so large that even the semi-literate can't fail to read it. The one "show home" we've been inside even had a tastefully arranged dog basket by the back door, alongside a rank of designer wellies, with a dog collar and lead carefully coiled in the bottom, as if the dog itself had been vapourised, leaving only its accessories as a reminder..
      The effect was somewhat spoiled by the fact that, upon opening the door from the utility room to the garage, a further, larger stack of wellies, probably worn by the builders, was piled inside, along with the Christmas decorations which had obviously graced the "executive style" living room during the festive sales period.
      Cheam, unfortunately, is also overdeveloped. You can't find a house with a garage in our price range, as all the garages have been turned into another reception room or, in some cases, another house.

      Delete
  5. CB, I see you're getting your share of spam. You've arrived! :-)

    Do remember not to remove spam messages from the front page of your blog but to go to the comments section of your dashboard and mark each as spam. It's a bit more trouble, but at least this way you'll train the spam filter to pick them up in future. Also if you do remove any comments from the front page, remember to tick the little box that says Remove completely? and all trace will magically vanish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Perpetua, as ever, for the helpful advice. As is inevitably the way, and as you know from elsewhere in the ether, I'm having to manage this minor inconvenience with one hand and an iPad! Perfect timing! I've followed your advice with the latest bloom of spam ( I don't think " bloom" is the right collective noun, but what the heck).

      Delete