Sunday 26 February 2012

Spring and sewing

Spring has sprung!

Well, it probably hasn’t, actually, although the daffodils are all ready to pop at any minute in Nowhere-on-Thames, and TH suddenly felt the urge to plant some tomato seeds today. Well, when I say “plant” I mean he’s filled the seed trays with compost and told me where to find them. He is to gardening what Henry VIII was to marriage guidance.

Anyway, the sun was out, the sky was blue, and I was suddenly all energetic and keen to get on with…something.  In the end,  I got on with doing a bit of sewing. I’d brought some bits of fabric back from Nowhere-in-France, planning to make a doorstop. The shops are full of them recently, and we actually needed one for one of the bedroom doors, so in the spirit of “HOW MUCH????? For THAT??? You’re having a laugh!” I decided to have a crack at making one. And, though I say so myself, it’s come out rather well.


Whilst I was in full “Blue Peter” mode, there has been an old sweater kicking around the house for some weeks, which I had thought of giving to the charity shop until I discovered that a moth, or possibly several moths, had eaten quite a bit of it. So I thought I’d have a go at making it into a cushion cover. Now, I can make cushion covers. I have many years of experience, owing to the fact that we had a care-in-the-community rescue Labrador for a long time, and whilst he was a gentle and loving soul, he never managed to overcome a need to eat cushion covers.  Making cushion covers out of old sweaters, however, is a new one on me, and meant that I got to try out a hitherto-unused stitch on my sewing machine. I was quite surprised at how well it worked.



I'm wondering what to make next, and TH is looking slightly perturbed. Clearly wondering whether his knitwear is safe....



8 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm green with envy here, CB. I can knit pretty well, though I'm a bit slow on fancy stitches, but I'm hopeless at sewing. Ever since my old Singer treadle died the death and I had to get an electric machine, sewing and I have not got on. Sigh...

    PS Sorry - word verification has NOT been switched off on your blog, CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooooooooo! I never knew it was ON! I shall investigate and remove it forthwith! Thanks for letting me know! Thanks, P!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's on by default with the new Blogger, CB, since they don't give you the option of switching it off without reverting to the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know HOW to go back to the old one because I've never been there...sob! Does this mean I have to have it forever? Woe is me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well....I've just been into the engine room and I think I might have managed to switch it off. Either that, or this whole blog will shortly explode!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's have a look..... There are instructions in my last blog post which seem to have worked for others if you didn't manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! That was beginner's luck!

    ReplyDelete