Monday 28 January 2013

An invite from the neighbours!



No, not those neighbours, THOSE neighbours!
The Windsors wearing smart/casual?


As a pair of fairly staunch republicans, this has come as a surprise but, apparently, TH has been “recognised” no, not from that time where HM the Q and Prince Phil nearly mowed us down as we were out for a Sunday stroll, but apparently for services to building a cable car over the Thames, which certainly expedited the transit of spectators from the Exel Centre to the O2 (AKA the Millennium Dome) during the Olympics.

I have just been e-mailed by a shell-shocked TH, who copied me in on the e-mail he had in turn received from the Grand Fromage at TfL, telling him to advise The Powers That Be of the name of his nominated guest. I am taking it that the guest in question will be me, largely because he sent me the e-mail.  Yes, we are to keep a date in May free, as we’re invited to take tea in the garden at the neighbours’ pied a terre in London. Provided we pass the security vetting….

So, it looks like I shall have to press a frock and Google the hat protocol, as well as studying the art of the curtsey and forms of address. 

I’ve joked for such a long time that they’re really miserable neighbours, having never invited us over for drinks in the twenty-plus years we’ve lived practically next door. The big concern now, if course, is whether they'll expect to be invited back?

I’ll be nice. It’s only polite.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Joan, you will see from blogs passim that I always look like something akin to a bag lady in any form of headgear, but so far a spot of preliminary Googling leads me to believe that few decide against hats, even though it's not strictly de rigueur. That said, I draw the line at a "fascinator", especially since I saw what Princess Beatrice came as when her cousin got married. I'd rather look like a bag lady than appear in public wearing something that resembled moose antlers. A nice sombrero may fit the bill. Or a balaclava. Although the latter may cause a bit of a stir at the security check, I fear...

      Delete
  2. Wow, CB, you're obviously going up in the world, though not in a cable car this time. :-) What a shame they'll probably frisk all the guests for cameras and smartphones so that you can't enthral us with behind-the-scenes revelations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly, Perpetua, cameras aren't allowed. I am sure a bit of judicious jiggling with the smartphone might mean I can capture the odd candid snap. After all, if it's good enough for the paperazzi.....

      Delete
  3. They must have been reading your blog.....

    ReplyDelete