Friday 25 January 2013

Dear Sir Minister Cameron.....



It’s been one of my various jobs, over the past ten years, to teach English as a Foreign Language at a local college, not far from N-o-T.

When I first began, the Government of the Day, in its wisdom, had decreed that EU nationals, asylum seekers and those in receipt of benefits could avail themselves of free English lessons. It was also a time which hailed the start of an impressive influx of people from Poland into the UK. I had started teaching in February, and the following September, at the start of the academic year, my new class numbered some 48 students, of which 60% were Polish. Not so much teaching as crowd control! A number of additional teachers were swiftly recruited, as lessons had turned into a huge game of musical chairs as the number of students increased exponentially week-on-week, whilst the number of chairs and table remained at the same level.

Now, some ten years on, many of the Polish students I knew in those days have returned to Poland, although I still bump into a few from the early days, very settled in the local area.

My classes today are a much more multinational affair. This term, I have 14 students (the numbers now are much more manageable, and have been since the Government stopped free lessons: they were “too successful”). The mix of nationalities mirrors much of what we hear in the media. Of my 14 souls, four are Spanish, two Greek, two Portuguese, one Russian, one Pole, one Slovak, two Indians and a Colombian. The last two years have seen a significant increase in the numbers of students from southern Europe, whilst there are very few Poles these days.

In my local area, which may not be representative of the demographic elsewhere, most of these people are either au pairs, or work in catering and hospitality. A surprisingly large number also work as carers for the elderly or in care homes. I read (when I can’t avoid it) with some confusion and dismay the reports of immigrants being in receipt of benefits, housing, handouts and support, and wonder where these people live. Because I’ve never met any migrants who conform to that profile. 

Not only do they all work, but they give up 5 hours a week after work to attend English lessons. And they work hard at that, too. They attend regularly, they ask for the work they’ve missed if they can’t come, they do homework and they work their socks off in class.  And they pay for the privilege.
Last week, we had a lesson about the EU, the UK and the latter’s current approach (or that of the current Government of the Day) to the former. Mr Cameron’s current pronouncements on the EU and immigration have most of them flummoxed. 

“So”, they asked “if we go home, will English people want to do our jobs?”

“I have never seen an English person apply for a job where I work” said one “until this year. This year we took on three English people. They lasted just 3 weeks”

“ We pay tax and National Insurance” they said “And we don’t use the NHS”

“I expected to come here and be a waitress” said one Spanish girl – she and her partner are in my class “but we both found jobs in IT, which is what we’re qualified in, and they were really pleased to have us”

“ We are contributing to the cultural mix in the UK” they said “And it’s what we love about being here: the diversity”

So I asked them, for homework, to write a letter to Mr Cameron, telling him how they felt and what they thought.

All of them did a great job. They expressed themselves, within the limitations of their command of English, with eloquence and clarity.  At a time when I’ve been questioning whether I want to continue doing this job at all, they made me remember why I love it.

Here’s a letter from a lady who is a grandmother, and whose grandchildren and children are back in Poland. I’d like David Cameron AND Nigel Farage to read lots more letters like this:

Dear Sir Minster Cameron (OK, a bit of work to do here…)
I writing to you, a Polish immigrant, living alone in the UK almost 7 years.

Last time you said that “Migrant jobseekers who don’t bother to learn English will be stripped of benefits”

So I’m learning English, I’m watching only English TV and I’m reading newspapers every day.
I’m working all the time and don’t use the benefits. I’m working in English company, I have a contract for work. My employers are happy of me because I respect my work and carry out their/my diutes well. All this time I pay tax and insurance.

I have many of English Friends at work. We often meet after work. We cook together and talk about English and Polish culture, history, music and literature.

Sometimes we go out to a restaurant, to the cinema or a pup.

I live in this country, sought to make something good for him..And therefore I don’t understand why you don’t like Polish immigrants.

Sometimes, when I’m out and about in Nowhere-in-France, I have the misfortune to come across people, British people, who wax lyrical about “(*)(*^&%^! Immigrants  in the UK” and how it’s “one of the reasons we left”

For me, they’re one of the reasons I stay. And why I don’t think there’s anywhere else I’d rather be. Unless some idiot in Westminster decides to spoil it all.

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful letter, CB and I very much agree with the rest of your post. I think many of the nay-sayers on immigration haven't a clue how much we rely on immigrants to do the low-paid but essential jobs without which our society would grind to a halt. As the great-granddaughter of an Armenian immigrant, I would say that, wouldn't I? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to find the words myself, Perpetua, to make the points I so badly want to make, faced with the ignorance and xenophobia that seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. That's why this letter really touched me. It's such a simple expression of the "other" reality.

      Delete
  2. I am in agreement too...but I feel very strongly that we have failed women coming to the U.K. from cultures where they are not in any sense equal.
    We should have insisted on compulsory English classes....not just for the language but for the cultural context...and we should have had local authorities more focused on actual equality rather than the PC version.

    The U.K. would fall apart without immigrants who are willing to do the low paid jobs....and cultural diversity is as positive factor.....but we have an obligation to see that women in particular immigrant communities have the same opportunities as their resident sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh yes! I remember my bosses boss telling me (when he joined our college from Hammersmith & Fulham) that in his previous role, he'd seen the sad reality of the withdrawal of Government funding for free English lessons. Prior to that, their daytime classes had been full of Somali women. After the funding disappeared, so did the women. The simple truth was that their husbands just didn't want them to learn English. Whilst it was free, and whilst their husbands were working and the children were at school, they could sneak along to the classes. Once they were required to pay, they could no longer attend, as it was one thing to sneakily attend free classes, but they couldn't possibly explain the need for money to pay.

      Delete
  3. I have to hand it to our local council - they are offering free Turkish lessons for foreigners living in the area. Sadly the take up rate is very low. I have dusted off my old TEFL certificate and volunteered to help out with free English lessons - I expect them to be much busier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, good on them! Sad there's so little interest, though! Wish I could avail myself and add to my ten words of Turkish..
      Good luck with the English teaching and I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete