Wednesday 9 January 2013

It ain't all courgettes and sunflowers!

If you read one of my earlier posts this summer, you will recall I was bemoaning the surfeit of courgettes with which my neighbours were keen to supplement my diet.

However, dear readers, I am here to tell you a few things about the fertile soils of Nowhere-in-France. I will tell you the tale of the Mystery of the Disappearing Marijuana..

Towards the end of my summer stay, I was (as in the courgette story) invited to dinner with my friend Karine. She, and indeed I and many others, have known for some time that her neighbours have a small area of their large back garden dedicated to the cultivation of recreational drugs which, I should add, are entirely for their own consumption and mainly for medicinal purposes. Nobody minds, except when the Gendarmes take their helicopter up for a spin. But then, the Gendarmes don't seem to mind, either. They (the Gendarmes) may make an appearance later in this tale, however, for another reason.

So, on the evening in question, I arrived at Karine's and let myself in, calling out a "Hello!" to which there came no reply. I wandered into the back garden and saw her far down the garden, deep in conversation with a man I didn't recognise. She introduced me to her neighbour, and together they explained that he had come over to tell her that, during the previous night, someone had come into her garden, and, using a stepladder that was already set up under a nearby tree, they had scaled the fence between their two properties and helped themselves to a couple of dozen cannabis plants.

Despite the indifference of the local Gendarmes to the existence of these plants, this is clearly not the sort of theft that is easy to report, but the neighbour, in a very pleasant way, had come to see if Karine might know of any visitors to her home who might have taken a shine to the plants and hatched a plan to steal them. We laughed together at the thought that a hotch-potch of mostly septuagenarians or under twelves would be able or willing to carry out such a dastardly plot, given that most of the former have had heart operations or hip replacements, and that any such scheme would probably make good material for an episode of "Last of the Summer Wine". And, talking of wine, we all had a glass of rosé whilst wondering aloud what the world was coming to when a person couldn't cultivate something a bit more interesting than courgettes without having it stolen. How anyone could have found them and carted them off in the dead of night seemed destined to remain a mystery, but Karine and her neighbour were both unsettled by this, although for different reasons. The neighbour was doubly miffed, because, as he explained, the plants weren't even ready for harvesting! That let me even further off the hook, as I wouldn't know a ripe-for-harvesting cannabis plant form a courgette.

Anyway, the neighbour left, we had dinner, and I took my leave of Karine at about 9.30. It's a short drive home, passing through the village, round the square and down the road to my house. As if the evening hadn't been eventful enough, I was just turning into the top end of the square when, suddenly, a man in uniform jumped out of a shrub opposite the boulangerie. A Gendarme, no less. No, wait, there were two of them!

We often joke that the centre of our village is so quiet after 9 in the evening that you could get arrested for having squeaky shoes. Well, I guess that the Gendarmes must feel the need every so often to make their own entertainment. What better way than to lurk in the bushes (on an evening when the local bar is closed, as well) and stop unsuspecting motorists and breathalyse them?

It came as a bit of a shock to both of us, I can tell you. Me, because I had recently consumed a glass of wine, them because despite my French licence plate, I exited the vehicle on what they assumed was the passenger side, so there ensued a brief moment of confusion while they checked that my car wasn't being propelled by a person of restricted growth who was hiding because they'd been drinking all evening. Once we'd all taken stock, I blew into their machine as requested, produced a negative result ("Nickel! " proclaimed the Gendarme) and was allowed to go about my business. If only I could have said "Look, instead of stopping innocent drivers and doing random breath tests, why not go and solve some real crimes, like the theft of a quantity of recreational drugs! " but discretion is, etc., etc..

There is a popular misconception among many Brits abroad that rural France is an idyllic place, where there are no drugs, no crime, and everyone can leave their doors open without fear. I am here to tell you that there's a lot more going on than meets the eye. It really isn't all courgettes and sunflowers, you know!

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear the village grapevine on that one!

    We lived on the boundary between two departments - a line as impervious to the exchange of information as the Berlin Wall.

    Up the road was a small field full of cannabis plants.....being watched by gendarmerie from both departments...from different viewpoints.

    We didn't hear it but our neighbour reported excitedly that there was firing going on at the field and on going up there on his bike he had seen gendarmerie vans heading off in their separate directions.

    Indiscreet enquiry revealed that each was unaware of the others' interest....that a member of one group had advanced into the field on a call of nature, had been mistaken for a harvester by the other group who had charged forward hopefully only to be mistaken in their turn for harvesters...

    What part the man on a call of nature took in the affair remained shrouded in mystery...

    And the chap owning the field had a licence to grow it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Fly, it appears from your story that cannabis may be the new courgettes! I had no idea that its cultivation was so widespread! Karine's other neighbour, Jean (a Dutchman) has often recounted the story of their visit from the Gendarmes, when their son, born in France of Dutch parents, but firmly convinced - as, indeed, were they - that he was Dutch, was paid a visit by the Gendarmes, anxious to claim him as a Frenchman and whip him away for his service militaire. The whole conversation took place in their conservatory, with the two visiting gendarmes seemingly oblivious to the fact that they were chatting among the thriving cannabis plantation that the young man was cultivating in there. I really must pay more attention. Maybe the local market stall isn't all tomatoes and courgettes after all......

      Delete
  2. Fontevraud Abbey's recreation of a medieval garden sported some wonderful cannabis plants some years ago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very disappointing for the uninformed thief, CB - all that effort for nothing! To be honest I wouldn't recognise a cannabis plant if it leapt out and bit me, but I bet there are a fair few lurking in secluded gardens in both Mid-Wales and our bit of Normandy. Mid-Wales is of course where ageing hippies come to die and if our local paper is to be believed, rural Normandy has a surprisingly serious drug problem. As for gendarmes, I've never actually seen one out of a car in all our visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been up close and personal more than once with our local guardians of the law, Perpetua, having been roped into doing some interpreting in a suspected manslaughter, among other things. However, the village Gendarmerie is open less often than the church these days, so you can commit a crime, get away with it and be unable to go to confession for at least a month afterwards!
      I don't know quite how serious our local drug problem may be, but there certainly is one. The only drug problems among my circle of acquaintances tend to revolve around how to carry their prescriptions back from the pharmacie, given that overprescribing seems to have been raised to an art form..

      Delete
  4. Award for you on http://asurfeitofpalfreys.wordpress.com/
    No need to do anything...just appreciation of a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Fly! I am grateful and surprised. Especially after my long silence!

      Delete
  5. Just popped in on the suggestion of Fly/a surfeit of palfreys. Enjoyed your post very much - I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed and I shall certainly be returning the compliment as Fly has given me a great list of new places to visit and read!

      Delete