Tuesday 8 January 2013

Happy New Year from the Frog chorus!




That's the frog-in-the-throat chorus, of course.

The eve of 2013 saw me laying in stocks of various medications, as my voice slowly dwindled to a husky wheeze. The woman in the local Pharmacie seemed miffed that I hadn’t at the very least made a doctor’s appointment. She seemed to be taking it quite personally that I deemed it unnecessary. She rallied a bit when I left the choice of appropriate over-the-counter medicines to her, and I think she might have proposed marriage when I asked her for a throat spray to go with the tablets she’d chosen for me.  Over the course of the New Year’s opening days, the husky wheeze was joined by a blocked nose. In an interesting twist, every time I blew my nose, somewhere in the inner pipework a sort of air lock developed, causing a sound not dissimilar to that made by a school of dolphins to start up inside my head. I’d almost forgotten what it feels like to have a cold, as I’ve been mercifully  spared the experience for about three years.



Luckily (no, really!)  I’d popped off to France to celebrate the New Year with some friends, so, once they had left, I was able to indulge my germs and lie on the sofa like a Victorian consumptive, with an industrial-sized box of tissues within easy reach. No-one had to witness my suffering, and I didn’t have to make futile attempts to cover my red, peeling nose, or disguise the bags under my eyes.
Communication with the world at large was almost confined to text messages. TH retired hurt after calling for advice on how to cook some meatballs and trying to make sense of my wheezing and heavy breathing as I gasped out the instructions. After that, a daily “Are you feeling any better?” text seemed to be easier.  I was invited to various lunches and dinners by concerned friends, just to keep my spirits up..have they never heard that you should starve a cold? And you should definitely starve a woman who has had to resort to leaving the country to get away from the Christmas leftovers! They kept telling me how well I looked for someone who sounded as though their vocal chords had been stolen and replaced with some odd nuts and bolts in a biscuit tin. I think they were trying to be kind, but a quick look in the mirror soon revealed the dreadful truth. There were healthier-looking people than me dancing in Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” video.

On the eve of my return, I had to pop down to the village Co-op for some supplies. Upon hearing my (much-improved) voice, the lady behind the counter informed me that since the New Year reopening, the vast majority of her customers either had voices like mine, or were calling in to stock up on those well-known staples that no self-respecting French family with a bout of gastro should be without: Coca-cola, rice and carrots. I wasn’t too sure about the carrots, but she was very clear that carrots played a vital role.

A tiny positive aspect was that, when I arrived at the airport for the return journey, I wasn’t worrying about just how long it might be after my return before I succumbed. I wasn’t trying to cover my mouth/nose/eyes as all around me sniffled and wheezed in the queue, on the plane and in the customs hall.  I am wearing my immunity to further infection like Harry Potter’s Invisibility Cloak. 

My voice has almost returned. Which is just as well, as I’ve started having to use it for work again. I’ve tried teaching English through the medium of mime, and it’s not a method I’d recommend.

I hope your New Year was germ free, and that we can all have a healthy 2013! If, however, you feel you may be coming down with a sore throat, I can supply some excellent medication for the cost of an SAE. You know how it is in France: I’ve got plenty to go round!

2 comments:

  1. From what I've heard about the French and medicines, you could probably supply the NHS, CB! Sorry your French visit was blighted by the dreaded lurgy and glad you've recovered enough to earn your crust. We've been lucky so far (touches every bit of wood within reach) but DD had flu quite badly before Christmas and her voice did a disappearing act too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certainly well stocked in case of a relapse, Perpetua, although I suspect that the "use by" date will be long past before I need them again! I'm slowly building a medicine cabinet - without which, as you know,no French household is truly complete. The worry is that it tells a somewhat odd tale of my illnesses and those of my immediate family. But I am definitely your "go-to" woman for anything throat related!

    ReplyDelete