Monday 11 June 2012

SO....what's been happening??


An interesting and fairly packed week in Nowhere-in-France for me last week. Or, as I sometimes call it, “the land the internet forgot”. I manage without the internet whilst in France, apart from checking for e-mails on my phone or falling upon the kindness of friends for a WiFi connection. The other alternative is McDonald’s, and I really HAVE to be desperate to darken their door.

Last week, however, N-i-F also became the land that TV forgot.  

Whilst I am by no means a TV addict, I do find it useful for keeping in touch with the world outside, and when I’m alone in France I enjoy curling up on the sofa to watch the odd programme.  Last week, however, the Freesat box decided to die a death.  No UK TV for me…

 Image: Wikipedia

“What’s wrong with French TV?” I hear you ask. Well, it’s like this: we can’t get French TV. There’s a perfectly serviceable ariel on the roof, but it’s never managed to convey whatever signal it receives from up there to down below. I did think that, with the advent of digital TV in France I might have a chance of getting something, but having borrowed the neighbours’ French free-to-air digital receiver and plugged it all in, it showed me what I could be watching, alongside a blue screen with the words of doom “pas de signal”.
Despite being a woman with vertigo, desperation saw me leaving the house via the bathroom window, sidling along the roof like spiderwoman (well, a sort of “off duty” spiderwoman  in shorts and a t-shirt), gripping the chimney and climbing onto the garage roof, and thence to the satellite dish, in order to do as exhorted by the error message on the TV and “check all cables and connections”. They were all fine. I checked, several times.  Don’t worry, I had the foresight and common sense to execute this manoeuvre in the company of visiting friends, in order that if things went wrong then my decomposing remains would not later be discovered on the patio below by a passing neighbour. One friend was stationed by the TV looking for signs of life, whilst the other shuttled back and forth in the garden, passing information between us and limbering up in case called upon to rush forward and catch my plummeting body.

Having read several times on the internet prior to the event that “the French” (for whom many British expat residents seem to believe themselves the official spokesperson) would not give a hoot about the Diamond Jubilee, and that any slightly patriotic gesture on the part of British expats would result in shame being brought upon the rest by association, I had to spend the rest of my stay confessing that I had no idea how wonderful it all was, as I didn’t see any of it. My unofficial and unwilling straw poll of “the French”, comprising most of my friends, the couple who run the tabac, the boulanger, three men in the bar and my neighbours, seems to indicate that they did give at least a small hoot, and were somewhat surprised that I couldn’t add any comments or observations of my own. 

TH will be present on the next visit. I’m relying on him (and on the purchase of a new box) to fix the problem. A week without TV is fine. Three months without TV is NOT.


10 comments:

  1. Hello:
    This account of your exploits on the roof, in an attempt to have a picture on the television screen, does sound both alarming and rather frightening. Was it entirely wise, even with the support of friends down below?

    We have been without a television for more than thirty years and now miss it not at all. In this way we were spared the Jubilee, in which we have no interest, but did feel a little for the Queen who, we are told, stood for several hours in that rather silly boat on the Thames in driving rain. She is not, after all, young and it did seem to us to be above the call of duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jane and Lance!
    As I'd declared my absence from the UK during Jubilee Weekend as my insignificant protest at all the hype,I wasn't intending to watch it in France. I was, however, looking forward to the first in a series of programmes by Grayson Perry: "All in the Best Possible Taste", an exploration of the British preoccupation with "class". I've now watched it on the internet and am happy I didn't miss out altogether. I'm afraid I don't have your strength of character when it comes to TV. Least of all during summer, when Radio 4 LW insist on giving me nothing but cricket!

    I picked a dry, sunny day to venture onto the roof, and believe me, if there had been any inherent risk I wouldn't have been up there. As you rightly point out, it may not have been my wisest decision, but at least there was someone around to call the ambulance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and are complete opposites where our three months in France in the summer are concerned, CB. :-) I can live quite happily without TV for the whole time and don't even watch DVDs on the computer with DH, but I couldn't live without my internet connection. Even before I started my blog, I liked to keep up with my forum buddies and now I have my blogging buddies too. Otherwise I read, knit, listen to French radio, garden or play cards or sudoku, not necessarily in that order. ;-)

    PS Nothing would have dragged me onto that roof. You are a braver woman than I!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know the other two protagonists in this tale of woe, Perpetua, and you'll know that they were a safe two pairs of hands! I was grateful for their presence, and without them around I probably would have stayed on terra firma. I miss the sound of the TV when I'm alone in France. I may be doing all sorts of other things, but I can have some background buzz...whether it be TV or radio, as of course the satellite offers both. I take a certain perverse pleasure in listening to the London rush-hour traffic news as I listen to the traffic free silence of N-i-F!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, CB, I tend to forget that you're often on your own in your little chateau. TV becomes much more essential in those circumstances. Your marvellous reply to Fly's equally marvellous comment reminds me of our first Christmas at the vicarage, with the whole family coming for the festivities and really poor TV reception because of the encircling hills. A swift expedition to the local TV shop in our tiny market town resulted in our next-door neighbour back at the old homestead spending a cold and risky hour on the south-facing side wall of the 3-storey Edwardian vicarage, trying to find the one gap in the hills which would give us a satellite signal. He did it and we were introduced to the wonders of Freesat!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I admit openly to using TV as a means of preventing me talking to myself too much, Perpetua! Men on the roof seems to be the basis for may a tale of danger and woe!

      Delete
  5. We had problems setting up French T.V. so called a man in.
    Much sucking of teeth and a declaration that nothing would work until we bought a dish from him (expensive) and probably a television set (ditto).
    Sent him about his business and asked the Turkish builder if he could do anything.

    Much clambering and shouting later we were neatly connected to...Turkish television.

    They did get it right at the second attempt, though the whole thing reminded me of installing our first television set when I was young...mother at her post by the set, me at the window as the link communicating mother's instructions upward to father on the roof and bowdlerising the responses from the roof which became more frenzied as time went by and only jagged horizontal lines appeared.

    He got a man in too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Fly....Here's what happened when we first had our UK receiver installed. The dish was already in situ, so just needed moving round, and cable to connect it to the box and TV.
    Man No. 1 arrived, with no ladders, spent half an hour telling us about his prostate problems, had a cup of coffee and left, never to return.
    Man no.2 arrived, a few days before Christmas, with his son. The man (no youngster) clambered up onto the roof like a young gazelle before we could say "be careful- the tiles may be slippy" and then hauled a ladder up behind him. His son was dealing with the box installation whilst he fiddled with the dish. Meanwhile, son#2 (aged about 11 at this time) was up on the mezzanine of the garage installing Scalextric.
    Some time later, son#2 arrived in the living room, looking pale and shaken, and a distant cry could be heard from the garage. The man on the roof had come straight through the garage roof, missing son by inches, and breaking his leg in the process!
    It later transpired that the broken leg had, in fact, been broken only some 6 weeks earlier when he had performed a similar stunt at another installation....
    We haven't had a man in since. In fact, TH finished the installation himself AND repaired the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been part of his training programme.....and wasn't he a quick healer!

      Delete
    2. I think his bones possibly healed faster than his marriage. His wife called me a day or so later to track down her son (who had popped back to collect the tools they'd left behind in their dash to the local Urgences) and I gather he wasn't too popular at home....

      Delete