Tuesday 5 March 2013

Somewhere else on Thames..perhaps. Or possibly not



Nowhere-on-Thames may soon be no more. I will be blogging under false pretences.

Whilst enjoying the limited charms and unlimited sunshine of Egypt, TH and I were able to indulge in one of the many pursuits denied to us in the normal course of events. We talked to one another. At length.
As a married couple of some 30-odd years’ standing, this should be a normal activity. However, our respective schedules have, for many years, condemned our conversation to a regular exchange of post-it notes on the fridge. Given the lack of availability of an A4-sized post-it note, I mainly confine myself to leaving instructions as to the location and nature of the evening meal,  short, urgent “to do” lists, and questions regarding the whereabouts of things I’ve been unable to find during the day.


By the time I get home from work, TH may just have waited up long enough to say something like “I’m off to bed, good night”. It’s not the moment to launch into any sort of deep conversation, as he is well past his sell-by date, having got up at 4.45 am to catch the first train to the metropolis.


Meanwhile, back in Egypt, we found ourselves able to catch up on some of the conversations that we normally have to cram into Sunday afternoons…and this year, we spoke of retirement. Well, of TH’s retirement, anyway. Successive governments seem hell bent on ensuring that I will keep seeing my state pension on the horizon, and, like someone lost in the desert, I will crawl towards it, only to discover that it was a mirage all along.  I am, however, determined to stay alive to draw it, even if they keep increasing the statutory retirement age by increments until I am 105. If only out of spite!


TH asked, quite out of the blue, one evening as we enjoyed an aperitif, if I had any preference as to where I would like to live once he retired. Initially, I had to take a minute to process the information, as I wasn’t altogether sure whether he was working up to asking for a divorce, or suggesting that I might care to move out of the matrimonial home, but no, he was Planning Ahead. TH has a strange approach to Planning Ahead. He usually packs his suitcase about two weeks before a holiday, whereas I do mine the day before. However, I often wonder about long-term plans, whereas TH  only really plans a month or so ahead. So you can imagine my surprise that he was talking about moving house “sometime in the next couple of years”. 


The conversation led us both to decide that we would probably rather move closer to London than further away, although we were rather more sketchy as to where.  The “closer” part did not have to entail much geographical adjustment, but we both felt it might be a plus if we found somewhere on a train line that didn’t make a three-legged tortoise look like Mo Farah.  As things stand, N-o-T is connected to London by a train service that stops every 100 metres, and takes 50 minutes to cover something in the region of 20 miles. There are tail-enders in the London Marathon who could do the journey faster. Even if they were wearing a chicken costume..


Upon our return, I decided to have a cursory look at property in a couple of places, and before I knew it, TH was spurred into action and we were off for a spin to see what had become of Surbiton, where we lived at the time we first married, and Kingston, where sons#1 and#2 were born.  


This was a salutary experience. There is no doubt that the entire cast of “The Good Life” must have moved out, as it appears they’ve probably been able to sell half their garden to a property developer who has built seven or eight houses on the plot.  It was like going back to the scene of a memorable holiday, only to discover that Ryanair, Easyjet and Flybe have started daily flights there, and the deserted beach has been dug up to build fifteen hotels.  Affording a house was not the issue. Affording a garage (or even a parking space) and a garden are almost certainly beyond our means.  


On the plus side, I can report that Surbiton has probably the highest per capita concentration of proper, old-fashioned ironmongers’ shops of anywhere in South East England, if not the UK as a whole.


We are currently working on Plan B. When we decide what Plan B is, you will be the first to know.


By the way, I might add – in case you were wondering – that proximity to a decent rail connection to London is important because along the way, TH confided that, when he reaches retirement age, he has no intention of actually retiring.  I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Monty Python touched a bit of a nerve......




11 comments:

  1. I have found that semi retirement has made me twice as busy as when I was working 50 hours a week, so cram in all your conversations now as you will have even less time to talk after the Big R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll both be busier, BtoB..as to whether we'll have less time for conversation, I'm not so sure. I didn't think (compared to our current situation) that this would be possible!!

      Delete
  2. So you've got one of those too, CB, the kind who just can't retire? :-) DH and I are both at home a great deal of the time, but we still tend to communicate by intercom from various points in our rather rambling house.

    I loved the Monty Python sketch which was new to me (we didn't have TV for the first 25 years of our marriage) and will now picture you both as intrepid explorers, scouring the outer reaches of the metropolis for that perfect retirement home (or garage....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's us, Perpetua: the Mr and Mrs Norris (and their Ford Popular) of the outer reaches. I have so far discovered that many, many, many people seem to have migrated to Surbiton. They can't ALL be from Hounslow, as that's still pretty crowded. Perhaps our next expedition - to Epsom - may be more fruitful.....Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Epsom...haunt of part of my youth...five loony bins and all their occupants in the cinema on
    Saturday afternoons...
    The man whitening his tennis shoes...the man firing up a self heating can of soup...the woman reading the newspaper by the light of The Guns of Navarone....

    Epsom could grow on you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the ideal place for us, then!! Although you may be surprised to learn (as we have just returned from a jaunt in the general neighbourhood) that ALL of said loony bins are now "executive" soulless housing estates and the old buildings have been transformed into "luxury apartments". I remember taking son#1 during his toddlerhood for a stroll around there (there's also a "country farm" for townie toddlers to pet sheep and such) and at that stage they were all lying derelict. Whilst surrounded by quite pleasant woodland, the houses themselves are shoehorned onto tiny plots, cheek by jowl with one another and miles from even the nearest shop.

      Delete
  4. So still loony bins then...just called by another name.
    I expect the consumption of medication is about the same...

    Perhaps one of the estate should be named Ichabod, as the glory of the loony bins has certainly departed.

    How sad. You'll be telling me next that Fullers' tea rooms have gone down the swanee and that Cafe Rouge has taken over the clock tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the Epsom of Fullers' tea rooms, but Cafe Rouge is sort of opposite the clock tower, facing off Cafe Nero. Starbucks and Costa are lower down the High Street...

      Delete
  5. Dreadful! What new abominations will they install!
    I bet these joints don't have customers heating their own soup....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed not. They have art students and people from Eastern Europe dispensing cappucinos and heating pannini!

      Delete